A NATIONAL CULTURAL MONUMENT IN THE HEART OF PODYJÍ NATIONAL PARK

Nový Hrádek was built at the behest of Margrave John Henry Luxembourg shortly after 1358. In the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries the system of fortifications was strengthened and the so-called New Castle was constructed on a more advanced position. In 1645 it was taken and partially destroyed by the Swedes.

In the nineteenth century the Mniszeks as the new owners had the front part repaired for hunting and recreational purposes. Before the Second World War the castle served as a hostel for the Czech Tourism Club and after the war it was part of the so-called forbidden zone. Today it is open to the public as a national cultural monument surrounded by the exceptional landscape of the Podyjí National Park.

MORE INFORMATION

 

Recommended trips